instagram

Monday, April 17, 2006

Playlist Flashback: Dance Party 1996

I lived in Washington, D.C., for a scant four-and-a-half months in 1996, moving into a shared Brownstone house at 17th and U (right where Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle meet). I'd moved to DC from Chicago to cover Congress for Electronic Media magazine (this was right after the 1996 Telecom Act passed)... but then a job opened up in L.A., where I ultimately wanted to be.

The way group houses are set up in D.C., you're living with five or six other young people -- but you're all doing your own thing. Hell, I don't even remember any of their names anymore. But I do still remember the "Leap Year 96" party we threw. I was in charge of music, and I pulled it off. We had a huge crowd dancing to my mix, which of course now seems completely dated -- but worked at the time (especially the Everything But the Girl track, which hadn't been played to death yet.)

I present to you... my "Leap Year 1996" dance mix:

Side One
COME BABY COME -- K7
BIG TIME SENSUALITY -- Bjork
BE MY LOVER -- LaBouche
FANTASTIC VOYAGE -- Coolio
GROOVE IS IN THE HEART -- Dee-Lite
NATURAL ONE -- Folk Implosion
FINALLY -- CeCe Peniston
MR. VAIN -- Culture Beat
SEX ON WHEELZ -- My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
TWILIGHT ZONE -- 2 Unlimited
TWIGGY TWIGGY -- Pizzicato Five
BIZARRE LOVE TRIANGLE -- New Order

Side Two
MISSING -- Everything but the Girl
SHOW ME LOVE -- Robin S.
JUST LIKE HEAVEN -- The Cure
GIRLS AND BOYS -- Blur
BUST A MOVE -- Young MC
100% PURE LOVE -- Crystal Waters
A LITTLE RESPECT -- Erasure
RHYTHM IS A DANCER -- Snap
WHERE'D YOU GO -- MIghty Mighty Bosstones
LIKE A PRAYER -- Madonna
SUPRMODEL -- RuPaul

No comments: