instagram

Friday, October 20, 2006

Franklin Avenue Mailbag: Christmas Comes Early to the Capitol Records Building?



(UPDATE... answer below. Scroll down!)

Something a little unseasonal struck Franklin Avenue reader Michael the other day. He writes in:

Do you guys know why the Capitol Records Building lit up their XMAS tree as of October 17? Is is always this early or is it for a movie?? Thought if anyone would know you would.

Ahh, flattery will get you far, Michael. But I'm afraid we're stumped. And yes, we could probably just call the building, but first I thought I'd throw it out wide for any of you to answer. Is Capitol simply following Target, Ralphs and the like, which have already put Christmas cards, candy and decorations on display? Do share below.



NEW: Darleene not only saw the Capitol Building Christmas tree as well (that's her pic above), but she writes about it here. So I decided to finally pick up the phone and call Capitol for the answer: Turns out Michael's suspicions were dead on. Capitol indeed lit the tree early for a film shoot. According to a spokesperson, the lights will go down this week. So no worries -- Capitol isn't trying to shove the Christmas season on us in October. Yet.

MEANWHILE, since we're on the answer-our-readers'-burning-questions tip, reader Billy writes in:

I am a very long time (but sometimes infrequent) reader. I turn 30 on Friday and am looking for somewhere to go around here with a few friends. Friday night will just be a small party (under 8) and I want someplace tasty and hip with a bar and atmosphere. If you want to throw out a couple names I would love the input. I'm in the Silver Lake/Los Feliz area.

Hmm, you had me at the "long-time reader" part, then kinda lost me on the "infrequent" qualifier. But hey, we're still here to help. (And because it's your 30th, might I suggest doing this?)

As for suggestions, since we just reviewed Malo, that's top of mind. But for a short-notice reservation, I always like downtown's Ciudad for birthday gatherings. Not crazy crowded, but the food and drink are good, and you're downtown. The choices are endless: Edendale Grill? Etc. Happy Birthday! And for the rest of you, again, please add your suggestions below.

No comments: