instagram

Monday, July 23, 2007

Daily News Readers: Pro-Cancer, Anti-Funny



If I had a subscription to the Daily News, I'd cancel it today in protest. (I should have bought a subscription in support of the paper while I had a chance.) That's because the Daily News has reversed course, and just days after dropping the World's Least Funny Comic Strip -- Mallard Fillmore -- it's bringing the panel back.

Whaaa? Sad to say, according to editor Ron Kaye in this editor's note, Daily News readers supposedly demanded it back. (Oh, San Fernando Valley, how can we knock some sense into you?!):

To our readers:

I'm sorry we messed up your comics but grateful so many of you have let us know about it and told us what you want.

We're going to fix it as well as we can as fast as we can. "For Better or For Worse," "Funky Winkerbean" and "Mallard Fillmore" were at the top of your list, and we're going to get those back in the daily LA.COM section within a matter of days. We also are bringing back the horoscope you like and some other comics and features that are clearly very popular.

We literally received thousands of calls and e-mails and despite being upset with us, me in particular, nearly everybody has been patient and understanding. I've long believed we had the best readers in the world, and now I know it for sure.

Best readers in the world? Questionable. Least funny readers in the world, perhaps.

But the Daily News readers wanted their dose of depressing, cancer-obsessed Funky Winkerbean (above) as well, so between that and Mallard Fillmore, I rest my case.

Previously: Daily News Readers Want Their Funky Winkerbean

No comments: