instagram

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Rock Insider's Summer Top 10



Last summer I asked Rock Insider blogger extraordinaire Jax to come up with her fave tracks of summer, and she much obliged. (Check out her 2006 list here.)

A year later, I've enlisted her again. Jax (also known as Ashley Jex) continues to keep busy running her own label, JAXart, throwing shows, going to every other show imaginable, keeping up her Rock Insider site... and keeping busy at her day job, Suretone Records.

Yet she still had time to whip this list up for me. Here goes, Rock Insider Jax's top picks so far of 2007, including her commentary, and a link to a downloadable MP3:

1. The Valley Arena - "Kick At The Ceiling" (MP3)
I loved this track SO MUCH I started a label for seven inch singles so I could release it for my friends!!

2. Sea Wolf - "You're A Wolf" (MP3)
Dear Sea Wolf, You're such an amazing musician and truly gifted performer.

3. Feist - "1,2,3,4" (MP3)
This is my record of the year. Breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe her voice.

4. The Dodos - "The Ball" (MP3)
The Dodos are still relatively unknown. All that's about to change. The Dodos are without a doubt the most talented musicians I have seen in a LONG time. What started out as meric long's solo project has turned into something insanely special. The San Francisco duo has played LA 6 times this year - I was at pretty much every show.

5. Battles - "Atlas" (MP3)
Experimental electronica project from NYC. The repetitive drone in this song lasts for over 7 minutes - AND YOU ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I seriously can't get this song out of my head.

6. Blonde Redhead - "23" (MP3)
I turned 23 this year - the same year one of my favorite bands of all time puts out a record called "23" with a titles track called "23." Coincidence? I think not!

7. You Say Party We Say Die! - "Monster" (MP3)
Reminiscent of Pretty Girls Makes Graves. Their tracks are aggressive but also house some of the most beautiful melodies I've heard in a while.

8. To Live And Die In LA - "What We Have Is Now" (MP3)
This song was my ANTHEM during the Capitol/Virgin merger. I would listen to it on repeat for days straight.

9. Great Northern - "Home" (MP3)
One of LA's best. This melancholy pop song is quickly driving this band toward national exposure.

10. LCD Soundsystem - "North American Scum" (You Tube)
This song will always remind me of New York and always remind me of this time in my life.

No comments: