instagram

Friday, May 16, 2008

Rate-A-Restaurant #169: Maoz Vegetarian


(Flickr pic by Roboppy.)

Restaurant: Maoz Vegetarian

Location: 38 Union Square East (New York)

Type of restaurant: Falafel/Vegetarian

They stipulated: They hand you your pita with falafel (and, if you add it, hummus and roasted eggplant), then you load up on various veggies and condiments. Pile it as high as you can.

We stipulated: Looking for a quick, late night meal, Maoz was open late and close by. Plus, after a week of eating so much and so bad, wanted something tasty but with a tinge of being healthy. Of course, after piling so much stuff high on my falafel, not sure the calorie count was all that low.


Condiment bar (Flickr pic by Stillafly.)

What we ordered: Falafel, Belgian fries and drink meal ($8.75)

High point: I love the salad/condiment bar, and the spicy green pepper sauce (which I pour all over). The falafel itself is nicely cooked, and the roasted eggplant a nice touch.

Low point: I got a batch of fries that must have been sitting there a while, because they were soggy and hardly the crisp deliciousness I was promised. Also, there's only one table in the tiny outlet, which means having to take your food to go.


(Flickr pic by Peanut99.)

Overall impression: When you're in a pinch and need a quick meal or snack on the run, Maoz is quite a nice choice. Would love to see an L.A. outpost of Maoz, which was originally born in Amsterdam.

Chance we will go back: When I'm here in NY on business, I'm usually running around so much I don't have a lot of time for lunch. Maoz fits the bill, so I'm sure I'll be back.

For a complete list of our nearly 170 restaurant reviews, check out our companion Rate-A-Restaurant site.

No comments: