instagram

Friday, April 24, 2009

Blago's Not a Celebrity, But He's Definitely Out There



This job sometimes brings me face to face with some interesting people -- and yep, there's something interesting in how embattled former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich keeps running toward the cameras and microphones, instead of away from them.

And seemingly without any real self-awareness of how it looks to the rest of the world. I know why NBC and Granada America went after him to compete on this summer's "I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!" -- just look at all of the free publicity the show has been getting. But Blago's excuse? He says he would have done it to support his family; but really, is he hurting for money that bad? Aren't there other job opportunities that aren't as, well... if you're heading down the same career path as Spencer and Heidi, you might wanna get in touch with a career counselor.

We'll never get to see how Blago might have fared, as a federal judge nixed the politco's plans to fly to Costa Rica and take part in the production. (The judge thought it might be better if, oh, I dunno, Blago actually focused on the corruption charges against him instead.)



I was actually attending Northwestern back when Blago first began his political career in the early 1990s... hell, I think I remember voting for him (that name wasn't hard to forget). Now, all these years later, I'm interviewing him for Variety... and he's on the same stage as Sanjaya.



Check out my write-up of NBC's "I'm a Celebrity" press conference -- with Blago front and center -- here.

No comments: