instagram

Friday, April 22, 2011

Farewell, Wilshire Boulevard



It's the end of an era. After 15 years of working on Wilshire Boulevard, I said farewell to the Grand Concourse of Los Angeles this week.

TV Guide just moved its West Coast bureau to Century City, where we have lovely digs across the street from the Century City Shopping Center. That's great -- but having carried my admiration for Wilshire over the years, it's strange to leave a street that has been at the epicenter of my adult life.

I did the math: If you consider I've probably worked between eight and ten hours a day, five days a week, 50 weeks a year (the late nights and days off balance each other out) for 15 years, that comes to about 30,000 hours on Wilshire Boulevard. Considering that the most I've ever lived at any one address is six years -- and that's my current address -- I've easily spent more of my waking hours on Wilshire Boulevard than any other street in the world.

And of course, as you know, we've hit Wilshire twice -- in both 2006 and 2010 -- for the Great Los Angeles Walk.

It all started in 1996 when I moved out here to join the Los Angeles bureau of Electronic Media. EM and all the Crain publications were settled in nicely at 6500 Wilshire Boulevard on the 23rd floor. In 1999, I moved to Variety -- then headquartered at 5700 Wilshire, in the "Wilshire Courtyard" complex made famous as "D & D Advertising" on "Melrose Place." When Variety moved in 2009 to the renamed "Variety Building" at 5900 Wilshire, I was there for the ride. And then, when I joined TV Guide Magazine, our offices were at 8383 Wilshire. Until now.

No comments: