Monday, September 24, 2012
Best Art Event Ever? 24 Hours of Donuts
An art exhibit featuring 24 hours of free donuts? Could this be the greatest art presentation in history?
The Franklin Avenue family headed over to LACMA on Sunday morning to visit the ForYourArt event "Around the Clock: 24 Hour Donut City II, LACMA's Choice." The exhibit was timed to LACMA's presentation of Christian Marclay's "The Clock," a 24-hour montage synchronized to thousands of scenes of time pieces depicted in movie and TV. While "The Clock" played for 24 hours at LACMA, across the street donuts (selected by LACMA employees) were being passed out.
"Embracing a key concept of both Christian Marclay's award-winning 24-hour film 'The Clock' and many of Los Angeles' famous donut shops, ForYourArt offers a selection of signature L.A. donuts from across the city 'around the clock' in concurrence with the screening," the group (located at 6020 Wilshire) said.
24 Hour Donut City sign
Take a donut -- one (ahem!) per person.
Here were the donut selections this time:
- Michael Govan, CEO and Wallis Annenberg Director: Coconut Cake Donut, Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts
- Stephen St. Laurent, Director of Security: Chocolate Glazed Buttermilk, Tang’s Donuts
- Amy Heibel, AVP, Technology & Digital Media: French Cruller, Randy’s Donuts
- Ellen Castruccio, Director of Membership Marketing: Blueberry Buttermilk Bar, Stan’s Donuts
- Scott Tennent, Director of Executive Communications: Crumb Donut, Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts
- Alex Capriotti, Marketing Manager: Rainbow Sprinkle Donut Holes, Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts
- Erin Wright, Director of Special Projects: Buttermilk Bar, Winchell’s Donut House
- Elvis Mitchell, Curator of Film Independent at LACMA: Buttermilk, Randy’s Donuts
- Franklin Sirmans, Terri and Michael Smooke Department Head and Curator of Contemporary Art: Traditional New Orleans Beignets, The Gumbo Pot
- Christine Y. Kim, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art: Choco Glazed with Rainbow Sprinkles, SK’s Donuts & Croissant
- Miranda Carroll, Director of Communications: Green Tea Donut, Café Dulcé
- Lorraine Wild, Creative Director: Bearclaw, Bob’s Coffee & Doughnuts
Green tea donut (with custard) -- my favorite of the morning.
What those green tea donuts originally looked like, before I devoured one.
Large paper mache donuts art
Donut art, by Blogger Kid
Donut art, by the Blogger Toddler 2.0
24 Hour Donut City II sign