instagram

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Alpine Village's Oktoberfest Is Kinda Disappointing

Alpine Village Oktoberfest
Alpine Village Oktoberfest

I really wanted to like the Alpine Village Oktoberfest. Really, I did. I have zoomed past Alpine Village (located in Torrance) countless times over the years on the 110, but never actually visited until this past Sunday. The reason, of course, was Alpine Village's Oktoberfest, which they claim is the largest in the Los Angeles area.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

What's not to love about Oktoberfest? Alpine Village found a way to make it a little less lovable. The menu is limited -- either a brat, Polish sausage, chicken breast or pork chop. ($10 for the sausage and two sides.)

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

I also got a 16 oz. beer for $11, because hey, this is Oktoberfest. There's an $8 giant pretzel, a $4 cream horn... and well, that's about it.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

Again, that lack of real food options would be fine, I suppose. But Alpine Village can't keep up with the demand for the pricy $8 pretzels. They were out of 'em, but sold one to me anyway. After waiting in the food line for 15-20 minutes, I was told to come back in 10 minutes. When I did, they told me the pretzel *still* wasn't ready. You know, I didn't even want the pretzel. So I asked them for my money back. They said no -- and instead gave me *two* pretzels.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

The event takes place in a massive tent -- not much ambience, but it meant there was plenty of room to move around.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

The live band, flown in from Germany, gave the event the right amount of oomph and got the crowd up and moving.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

On Sundays, the event is geared toward families and just $5 for adults -- with kids under 12 free. OK, so I do love that.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

By the way, I believe you get in for free -- at least on Sundays -- if you're in proper Oktoberfest attire.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

The real reason to visit Alpine Village is the actual village -- a mini re-creation of a small German village, with stores, restaurants and a grocery store boasting a wide variety of German and European products. Overall, I suppose I'm glad we stopped by for the experience.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

At the "Alpine Market" we bought several chocolates, as well as spicy mustard.

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

The tiny Alpine Village chapel

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

Above, inside the mini chapel.

Oktoberfest continues until the end of the month. Location:
Alpine Village Center
833 West Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90502
Tel. 310.327.4384

No comments: