instagram

Monday, May 13, 2013

FRANKLIN AVENUE IN NEW YORK: Grand Centennial Parade of Trains

Train exhibit

I arrived in New York on Saturday morning after taking the JetBlue redeye from Burbank -- not the most pleasant flight ever. But at least I got to Manhattan by 7am -- too bad my hotel room wasn't ready yet. So I walked over to nearby Grand Central Terminal, where people were already lining up for the Grand Centennial Parade of Trains. It was a celebration of old trains from the start of the 20th century straight up to now. I decided to check it out -- and it's a good thing I was there early, as the line snaked through the terminal before long. (Who knew so many people were interested in old trains?)

Among the trains were several from Los Angeles -- I thought I recognized one from Chris Nichols' birthday a few years ago. Apparently the trains' owners rode them all the way out to NY (via Chicago) from Los Angeles, and next were heading to D.C. before the trip home. All told, they took 15 days for their journey.

Here are some pics from last weekend's events.

Train exhibit

U.S. Railway Car Post Office (1910)

Train exhibit

Train exhibit

Train exhibit
On-train barber shop
Train exhibit

Train exhibit

Train exhibit
People file out of Metro-North cars

Train exhibit
Vintage MTA trains on the shuttle service between Times Square and Grand Central Station

Train exhibit

No comments: