Thursday, January 19, 2017
Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2016, Part 4
In no particular order, I've selected the favorite tracks from 2016's playlists for our fifteenth annual Choice Cuts end-of-year mix. Here's the final group:
16. "Pink + White" (Ft. Beyonce) -- Frank Ocean
Off Frank Ocean's album "Blonde," this song about lost love features a very subtle contribution by Queen Bey.
17. "Every Songbird Says" -- Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop
Songwriters Sam Beam (the man behind Iron & Wine) and Jesca Hoop collaborated on their album "Love Letter for Fire," which features this gem.
18. "Powerful" (feat. Ellie Goulding & Tarrus Riley) -- Major Lazer
Put together two strong voices like Ellie Goulding and Tarrus Riley, and how could you not call this track "Powerful." Another song that was actually released in 2015, but it became a frequent listen for me in 2016.
19. "What If I Go" -- Mura Masa
British electronic music producer Alex Crossan, who performs as Mura Masa, pulls off a jam featuring Bonzai on vocals.
20. "Worry" (feat. Anderson .Paak) -- Jack Garratt
I'm regretting not putting a separate track by Anderson .Paak on this mix, but I just ran out of room. A compromise: This collaboration between Garratt and .Paak is fire. Above, they perform it live for MTV.
21. "I Need A Forest Fire" (feat. Bon Iver) -- James Blake
The appropriate way to end a 2016 mix: The quiet storm of James Blake and Bon Iver. Burn it all down.