instagram

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Good Griefing It At The "Peanuts" Museum


Charlie Brown welcomes you.

Growing up, I went through my obsessive "Peanuts" phase, collecting the comic strips, stuffed animals, TV specials, etc. Charles Schulz even inspired me to dream of a comic strip career -- too bad I couldn't draw. And let's face it, as a 10 year old, I just wasn't very funny. (Some would argue that hasn't changed. Bastards.)

That's why last month, as we spent a few days up in Santa Rosa, I made sure we stopped by the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center.

You've probably read in recent reviews for the new biography Schulz and Peanuts, which depicts Schulz as a rather bitter figure. I've always figured that Schulz had a glass-half-empty view toward life -- just read the strip! -- so that doesn't really bother me. And indeed, a visit to the museum (built next to the studio where he worked, and the ice rink he erected in the 1970s) shows that Schulz was mostly set in his ways: He ate lunch at the rink snack bar every day, and watched the ice skaters in the afternoon in between drawing that day's strip.

The museum itself is well-done, offering a history of "Peanuts" (a name Schulz always hated -- but his syndicate forced on him) as well as a rotating gallery of strips themed to different topics and events. There are exhibits for kids (including an art room, where young ones can design their own comics), a screening room where "Peanuts" specials are shown, a garden shaped like Snoopy's head, and more.

The visit was well worth the trip. I was amazed at Blogger Toddler, who somehow had figured out already who Charlie Brown and Snoopy were, and who was excited to go see "Snoopy's house." If a 2 1/2-year-old pretty much discovers Charlie Brown and Snoopy just by being alive, then "Peanuts" is truly universal.


Charlie Brown and Snoopy at the entrance


Museum exhibit


Comic strips, even at the bathroom urinal!


Comic strips, turned into a larger Charlie Brown and Lucy mural


Parade of 95 Snoopy "Joe Cools" -- which will be auctioned for charity after being displayed at the museum. (These initially sat in front of businesses this summer around Santa Rosa.)

1 comment:

Kirschle said...

really cool :) I have loved snoopy since my "aunt" gave me one at age 5. I am now 27 and have passed it on to my daughter who is 5 and loves it as well. :)