instagram

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Naming L.A.'s Imaginary NFL Team



PR man Jack McGrath continues his quest to name any NFL team that finally makes it here the Los Angeles Celebs, writing an op-ed piece in today's Daily News:

I came up with Moguls, Stars, Pretenders, Performers and less-charming ideas. But settled with L.A. Celebs, because it was catchy and only two syllables.

So I printed up some bumper stickers, and sent the graphic to laobserved.com, a Los Angeles blog. That day I received a phone call from Judy Battista, staff writer for The New York Times, who had seen the laobserved blog. I was shocked that The Times would take such interest in my plan. But Battista was quite serious in her questions about the name and its relevance to the entertainment industry in the Los Angeles area.

The more I thought about the history of the feature film, television and music industries, the more I was convinced we have taken this economic powerhouse for granted. We have not shown proper respect for their impact on all of our lives...

The New York Times thought the name L.A. Celebs was worthy of discussion, as the future name of our Los Angeles pro football franchise, if it comes to be.

Until such time as we have a team, and team owner, I will refer to our possible pro football team as the L.A. Celebs. This is my individual way to pay homage and respect to the greatest creative group of people on our planet - the American entertainment industry.

Meanwhile, the other week I asked you to come up with other potential names for our imaginary NFL team.

Now, the winner: Mitch Glaser, for his pick, The Los Angeles Thetans.

Mitch explains:

(It) would encourage celebrities and other wealthy Scientologists to buy the luxury boxes and club seats.

I'm sure we could get Defamer on board as well. The Thetans! I like the ring of it. Perhaps Xenu as a mascot?

No comments: