instagram

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Number One Quote of the KZLA Switch



From Sunday's L.A. Times story about the demise of country radio in urban markets like L.A.:

"I almost threw up, I was so upset," said longtime KZLA listener and Mission Viejo resident Ruth Rogers, 53. "I think it's racist. This is becoming a nation of minorities. I'm not going to turn on my radio anymore. Country music promotes patriotism and family values, and they've replaced it with something that just promotes money and hate."

I'm sure irony is completely lost on this woman. (How does anyone with any self-awareness follow up the line "I think it's racist" with "This is becoming a nation of minorities. I'm not going to turn on my radio anymore." ?!)

And by the way, where does she find the "hate" in songs like the Black Eyed Peas' "Let's Get it Started"? Mindless, yes. Crappy song, absolutely. But hateful?

MEANWHILE, Emmis is finally streaming country music on its KZLA website -- although it's not like country listeners sitting at a computer didn't already have plenty of choices when it came to online sites streaming country. And rumors abound that local stations are mulling a switch to country to fill the void -- but I'll believe it when I hear it.

No comments: