instagram

Friday, November 30, 2007

Retro Friday: Nickelodeon, As We Remember It

Looking back now at 1980s Nickelodeon -- yep, the version of Nickelodeon that most of us grew up on -- it all seems kinda low rent. "You Can't Do That on Television" wasn't even produced by Nick, it was just shipped in from Canada. But hey, it was our Nickelodeon. And I'd take "You Can't Do That on Television" any day over "Drake and Josh." But I'm just nostalgic that way.



Of course, I'm not nearly as nostalgic for "Pinwheel" (above), which -- let's face it -- was a pretty crappy rip-off of "Sesame Street." In this case, of course, current fare like "Yo Gabba Gabba" blows it away. But since I've had this damn theme song in my head for nearly 25 years, I'm gonna shove it in your head now too. Enjoy.



A Nickelodeon station I.D., before the channel adopted its familiar orange-colored "splat" logo. Could these theme song be any cheesier? Why does 1984 (when this aired) suddenly feel so ancient?



The holidays, "You Can't Do That on Television" style. C'mon, an "A-Team" joke!

No comments: