instagram

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Party Like It's Super Tuesday


(Flickr pic by Chuck T.)

Thanks to LAist for throwing its first ever blogger party on Tuesday night. Turnout was great; not only did I get to meet some bloggers I only knew in print, but I finally got to check out downtown's Seven Grand whiskey bar.


(Flickr pic by Chuck T.)

Among those L.A. bloggers in attendance: LAist editor Zach Behrens; former LAist editor and Negro Please blogger Jason Toney; Sha in LA's Shannon Simonds; Sean and Pamela Rouse; LA Cowboy Brady Westwater; LA Times pressman Ed Padgett, and others.

Zach said he planned to throw other LAist bashes in the future, including an election night blow-out. Jason explained why he dropped out of the blogging world: Not only was he increasingly busy, but he was starting to get recognized in his every day life at spots like Target -- and it was quite freaky. Shannon's gearing up for her birthday walk this weekend down James M. Wood; Sean and Pamela just celebrated one year downtown and have become immersed in that world. I also got to meet both Brady and Ed for the first time; both had nice things to say about Franklin Avenue. I asked Ed about the photo new Tribune honcho Sam Zell sent to his blog: Apparently Ed and his colleagues recently introduced the ear tug as a new way of yelling out "f-you!" without actually saying it... Zell, a fan of salty language, caught wind of the new Pressmen lingo and sent the pic. Ed says he plans to meet Zell this week when the boss visits his plant.

As for Seven Grand itself... nice spot on the second floor of an older Los Angeles building, and it takes advantage of that old, urban feel. LAist was offering free cocktails to anyone with an "I Voted" sticker, and I ordered one from the specialty menu... only to discover those menu items weren't covered. But I had to try the "Los Angeles" -- how could I not? -- and wasn't disappointed. This delicious concoction consisted of Jim Beam Black Label bourbon, some vermouth, sugar syrup, nutmeg and more. I spread the word, and I think I convinced Shannon and fellow L.A. nut Eric Lynxwiler to try it out.

Were you there? Did I miss you?

No comments: