One of our favorite neighborhood holiday events, the annual Los Feliz holiday festival, has been canceled this year.
According to the Los Feliz Business Improvement District, the festival was scrapped because the group is "re-evaluating our festivals and fairs." But it also came down to money: The city's no longer waiving its fees, and "street closures are expensive."
(Flickr pic by Jory.)
Good news now: The 17th annual Atwater Village Tree Lighting Ceremony is still on.
Event takes place this Thursday, December 4, 2008 starting at 6:30 p.m. Details:
The tree lighting ceremony will be accompanied by a Holiday Festival in the Wells Fargo parking lot at 3250 Glendale Blvd. The evening’s program will include children’s choirs from local schools, the world premiere of a new locally produced song, a fashion show featuring local merchants and citizens, a short film about the Atwater neighborhood, and traditional Christmas harmonies by the Tam O’Shanter Singers. Santa Claus is scheduled to arrive on a Los Angeles Fire Department fire truck, heralding the lighting of the tree at approximately 7:30 p.m.
Also this year: The Old Bank District Holiday party takes place 6 p.m. to midnight on Dec. 6. It's free. Details:
- Main Stage presented by Little Radio with live performances from The Like, Whispertown 2000, The Afternoons, Restaurant, and special guest headliner performing from 6 pm - 12 am.
- An outdoor Beer and Wine Garden on 4th St., with seating for partygoers to enjoy the lights and entertainment.
- Harlem Place Alley will be transformed into an intimate Jazz Bar with performances by Pablo Calogero and band, hosted by Pete’s Café & Bar.
- Comme des Garçons, Blends, Orange 22, and Fremont Apparel, as well as other neighborhood retailers including those on Main St. like Banquette, Blossom, Raw Materials and others, will be offering specials and discounts for holiday shoppers.
- An Art Bazaar will be hosted in the historic Farmers and Merchants Bank, featuring the work of over 30 local artists. The Bazaar will be cash only and all work will be $200 and under.