instagram

Friday, November 21, 2008

More KCRW News: Garth Trinidad Returns to Weeknights



KCRW's Garth Trinidad, who formerly held the 10 p.m. to midnight slot on the station (when it was called "Chocolate City"), is back doing weekdays starting next month. He'll be handling the 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. slot being vacated by Jason Bentley (who's taking over "Morning Becomes Ecelctic" in December). From the release:

Garth has been on the air at KCRW since 1996 and hosted a weeknight show, formerly known as “ Chocolate City .” His exploration into urban rhythms and soul created a new home for a demographic that wasn’t served anywhere else and he was the first DJ in the country to play both Macy Gray and Jill Scott.

“When I first got the news, I was ecstatic. Jason was a huge inspiration for me to become a DJ and I wouldn’t be at KCRW if it was not for him,” said KCRW DJ Garth Trinidad.

“When I opted out of being on air five nights a week, my wife and I were starting our family. As soon as I stopped, I really missed it, much to my surprise. The dynamic shifted and I missed the ability to break records because I couldn’t play them as often.”

“Here it is, almost five years later, and my kids are a little bigger, and now I have the opportunity to carry the evening torch again. I can’t wait to use this daily time slot to spread my wings as a programmer and sink my teeth into music in a way I never have,” said Trinidad.

Bentley's show had actually started at 7:30; but under the new schedule, KCRW is moving Warren Olney's "Which Way L.A.?" from 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (An abbreviated half-hour version of "To the Point," also hosted by Olney, will air at 7 p.m.).

Trinidad had been holding down the Saturday 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. slot; that will now be filled by Jason Eldredge.

No comments: