instagram

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rate-A-Restaurant #191: Larchmont Grill


Restaurant: Larchmont Grill

Location: 5750 Melrose (Larchmont)

Type of restaurant: California

We stipulated: My friend Joe had been meaning to take me out for my birthday for months; we finally settled on a day. Larchmont was close to him and on the way home for me, and I've been curious to try it.



What we ordered: Mexico City jalapeno burger: raw red onion, cilantro, diced tomato, pepperjack cheese with a touch of cayenne & shredded lettuce on a sesame seed bun (with sweet potato fries); starter: homemade corn soup.



High point: Service was friendly, and that corn soup was excellent.

Low point: At the same time, I was told by the waiter that the Mexico jalapeno burger could be made with turkey meat. So I ordered it -- but what I got was, well, just a turkey burger. Later, the waiter told me he'd been misinformed -- the burger couldn't be made with turkey, so I didn't get the "Mexico City" recipe. He knocked $2 off the price, but I still wish ultimately I'd known beforehand, to order something else.



Overall impression: Unbeknownst to us, we had arrived on Larchmont's Burger night (Wednesdays), when the restaurant offers up options such as Kobe beef burgers, salmon burgers, grilled tofu and portobello burgers, lamb burgers, pineapple teriyaki burgers, and more. Nice idea.. but the menu, which reads, "turkey burgers and butter lettuce wrapped protein burgers available," made it vague -- so did that mean turkey could be substituted, or just that you could get a plain turkey burger? That's where the confusion set in.

Chance we'll go back: You know, it was a pleasant enough experience, but I'm not sure there was a compelling reason to put the Larchmont on the "return" list.

For a complete list of our more than 190 restaurant reviews, check out our companion Rate-A-Restaurant site.

No comments: