instagram

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jonesy, Post-Jukebox


(Pic by L.A. Times.)

A friend of Franklin Avenue happened to bump into Sex Pistol Steve Jones the other day in New York. Our friend's a big fan of punk rock, and was also an avid listener of "Jonesy's Jukebox," the radio show Jones hosted live in L.A. every day on Indie 103.1. That is, until the radio station flipped to Spanish in mid-January.

He writes of the encounter:

We were standing next to each other on really long lines for the two metrocard machines at the Union Square subway station. It was last Friday at lunchtime and was by far the most beatiful day of this coldish, un-Springlike Spring.

I noticed his Hollywood Utd soccer t-shirt and it got me thinking. Then I put 1 + 1 together and realized it was him. Normally I never bother anyone ever. But being a Sex Pistols/Professionals fan since the age of 14 and a regular listener of his streamed radio show, I just turned straight to him and was like, "Hi, you're Steve Jones from the Professionals and on the radio" and shook his hand.

Being that I was all fired up for Record Store Day which was the next day, I asked him if he was in town for it, thinking that maybe he was DJ'ing or doing an appearance at a record store. He smiled and said "No." He was totally fine. Then he asked me some questions about buying the Metrocard and the metrocard machine. Later after we got our metrocards at roughly the same time, we went through the turnstyles and I shook his hand again, saying that I used to listen to him all the time on 103.1 live feed when I was working my crappy office job and it was great to meet him, he thanked me and was very cool.

I'm sure I sounded like a nerd, but I don't care. THen he asked me where could he get the Uptown 5 train and I pointed him in the right direction. Then I had to run to grab an uptown N to get back to work.

Here's the L.A. Times' coverage of Jonesy's departure, written back in February.

No comments: