instagram

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Weisman on Manny Ramirez: "We Knew He Was Flawed"



Talk about weird timing for my Variety colleague Jon Weisman, the blogger behind Dodger Thoughts. He was already taking today off, in order to get a few other things done --including his son's 5 p.m. T-Ball practice -- when the Manny Ramirez story broke.

So in addition to keeping that 5 p.m. T-Ball appointment, Jon's spent the day doing interviews -- including a phoner with ESPN News -- and updating Dodger Thoughts, including this piece on how he's taking the news:
How do I feel?

I feel that this is one of the many imperfect things that happens in an imperfect sport. Everyone and everything that I love is flawed. I get frustrated, annoyed, angry, depressed. Over time, I love some a little less, others the same despite it all.

For the Dodgers on the field, if it wasn't going to be this, it might easily have been (or still might be) something else. Manny Ramirez is a critical component of the 2009 Dodgers, but he's not the only component. ...

As for the man? Even if we didn't know this would happen, we knew he was flawed... The game is greater than any one person, good or bad. I've just seen too much to be up in arms.

No comments: