instagram

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Breaking: Schneider to Join TV Guide as L.A. Bureau Chief


Holy $#!*, that's me! Big, life-changing news at Franklin Avenue HQ: I'm leaving Variety after more than 11 years to try something new and exciting. I'll be joining TV Guide at the end of the month as its new Los Angeles bureau chief!

Here's the press release:

MICHAEL SCHNEIDER JOINS TV GUIDE MAGAZINE
AS LOS ANGELES BUREAU CHIEF


January 5, 2011 - New York, NY -- Michael Schneider will join TV Guide Magazine as its Los Angeles Bureau Chief effective January 24, it was announced today by Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine. In his new role, Schneider will oversee the magazine's west coast bureau, managing breaking news and feature coverage.

In making the announcement, Birnbaum said "Michael is widely respected in the industry and has a rich background covering television news as well as the business side. He loves television as much as we do and has a great understanding of the true, passionate TV fan. We are thrilled to welcome Michael to TV Guide Magazine and look forward to working with him in his role as Los Angeles Bureau Chief where he will ramp up the magazine's breaking news efforts."

Previously, Schneider was TV editor of the daily and weekly trade magazine Variety, a post he held since 1999. Prior to this, Schneider was the Los Angeles bureau chief of the weekly trade Electronic Media. Schneider also blogs about Los Angeles at Franklin Avenue (www.franklinavenue.net), which has appeared in such publications as The Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Magazine and LA Weekly. As a television expert, Schneider has appeared on ABC "World News Tonight" and "Primetime Live," NBC's "Today" show and "Dateline NBC" and other programs and networks.

Repeating my tweets:

Many of you know my geeky TV history: I've been collecting TV Guides since I was six.

On family trips, I'd annoy my parents by forcing them to stop at 7-11s all over the country. Needed to buy different localized editions!

I'll still be here at Variety through press tour and the Golden Globes. And I'm going to miss this place incredibly. It's an amazing group.

My pals Jon Weisman, Stu Levine, Cynthia Littleton, Brian Lowry, Rick Kissell – I hate leaving them. But Var's TV bench strength is deep.

But the lure of TV Guide -- as I mentioned, I've loved it my whole life -- presented a new, exciting opportunity. Can't wait!

No comments: