instagram

Monday, October 10, 2011

Paying Tribute to Steve Jobs at Glendale's Americana

Steve Jobs

It had already been a few days since Steve Jobs' passing when we stopped by Glendale's Americana at Brand shopping center on Saturday. But the shrine in front of the outdoor mall's gigantic Apple Store was still going strong -- including what must be a busted iPod inscribed with a message. (Nonetheless, I'm surprised no one swiped that iPod, "just in case.")

Speaking of Jobs, I still remember the one time Maria and I saw him in person. It was the early 2000s, and we were on a weekend trip to San Francisco. The flagship Old Navy store on Market Street had a restaurant in the basement back then (sort of like an IKEA eatery) -- and who did we spy eating the cheap food but Jobs (in jeans and black mock turtleneck, of course) sitting down with a few other folks. It was kind of surreal seeing him down there, but then again, for all we know he was meeting with key Gap/Old Navy folks about some sort of marketing initiative.

I've been an Apple/Mac guy ever since my high school paper got its first Macintosh SE in 1988. We moved our paper quickly into the desktop publishing era -- and I was hooked. As a kid in the early 1980s, I used to cut and paste my own newspaper; just imagine had I been born 10 years later. I used Macs all through college, and bought my own first one in 1995 (dismissing naysayers who believed Apple was dead -- it was "almost dead," but boy, did Jobs revive it a few years later).

Steve Jobs

No comments: