instagram

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2013, Part 3




In no particular order, I've selected the favorite tracks from 2013's playlists for our twelfth annual Choice Cuts end-of-year mix. I'm revealing them throughout the week. The next four:



9. Dreams Of Cannibalism -- Typhoon

Possibly my favorite start to any of the songs on this year's list: "Unhand me, I am not a criminal/
But I've played a guilty part/
in the modern sense that one pretends their life is original..."



10. Chamakay -- Blood Orange

It's hard to pinpoint Dev Hynes, who has produced for everyone from Florence and the Machine, Arctic Monkeys and We Are Scientists to Solange Knowles and Britney Spears. But I know this: I like his sound. (As a matter of fact, his Solange track, "Losing You," wound up on my Best of 2012 "Choice Cuts" mix, so I clearly dig it.) Now recording as Blood Orange, his CD "Cupid Deluxe" is the perfect soundtrack for driving up the coast as the sun sets. Read more about Hynes here.



11. Back To The Way I Was -- Emily Bell

The Austin native mixes rockabilly, R&B and even British soul in this raucous track.



12. Ya Hey -- Vampire Weekend

Perhaps the most mainstream entry on this year's Choice Cuts selection, but that "Ya Hey" chorus is hard to shake.

Tomorrow: The next four!

Also on Franklin Avenue:

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2013, Part 1

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2013, Part 2

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2013, Part 4

Choice Cuts: Franklin Avenue's Favorite Tracks of 2013, Part 5

No comments: