instagram

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Rate-A-Restaurant #367: Pokenoya (Pasadena)

Poke

Restaurant: Pokenoya

Location: 766 E. Colorado Blvd. (Pasadena)

Type of restaurant: Poke / Japanese (new)

Poke

We stipulated: Maria and I were catching a movie at Pasadena's Laemmle theatre, and looking for a quick bite before the show. Most restaurants were already closed, but Pokenoya looked to have just the right amount of food to share.

They stipulated: Like most mainland poke joints, it's a very different kind of poke than you get in Hawaii -- it's in a bowl, usually with rice, with multiple condiments.

Poke

What we ordered: regular poke bowl ($8.50) with sushi rice, spicy tuna, salmon, crab meat, avocado, cucumber, poke sauce. Plus volcano sauce on the side.

High point:  The fish tasted fresh, and the volcano sauce was a nice complement.
Low point:  Weirdly complicated. What happened to simply getting poke without all the overwhelming add-ons?

Poke

Overall impression: See what I mean? I guess I'm a purist who likes getting poke in its natural state at the Foodland. But in terms of mainland poke joints that I have visited, Pokenoya ranks on the better end.

Poke

Will we return: If we're in that part of Pasadena, I could definitely see another visit in our future.

1 comment:

Chuck Taggart said...

So, never having been to Hawaii (GASP, I know) ... what is poké like there? I'm figuring there's less stuff in it. I must confess I like the stuff.

Also, I don't know if y'all have been there and I just missed the post, but Wesly and I love the Eagle Rock Poké Bar on Colorado.