instagram

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Rate-A-Restaurant #369: The Halal Guys (New York)

Halal Guys

Restaurant: Halal Guys

Location: 53rd and 6th Ave. (New York)

Type of restaurant: Mediterranean/chicken

Halal Guys

We stipulated: For my last afternoon in New York, I decided it was time for some street food -- and a visit to the famed Halal Guys was long overdue.

They stipulated: "The Halal Guys legend began in 1990, when the three founding partners opened up a hot dog cart on West 53rd & 6th Avenue in New York City. As business grew, they recognized a huge demand from Muslim cab drivers looking for a halal food meal. That is when the famous platter of chicken and gyro over rice was born. Fast-forward 25 years, five carts, two New York City restaurants, and millions of diverse customers served, The Halal Guys is growing yet again. Fans no longer have to be in NYC to experience The Halal Guys as they look to share American Halal Food all over the country and the world."

Halal Guys

What we ordered: chicken plate ($7)

Halal Guys

High point:  Lots of food -- a hearty meal. And that red sauce is SPICY. Like I like!
Low point:  I thought the chicken was surprisingly dry.

Halal Guys

Overall impression: It was fine -- but I must admit, I was expecting something more to it. Maybe I'm spoiled by Zankou.

Will we return: I feel like I've been there, done that. Not sure.

2 comments:

qazwsx said...

It is no Zankou. Try the Kati rolls chain in NYC though for a Zankou like experience!

http://www.thekatirollcompany.com/locations_ny.html

Bill said...

Opening in Glendale, on Brand later this year...