instagram

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Plays Jenga, Purge City Opens, and More Scenes from Comic-Con 2017


Every year I wonder if I really want to head back to the craziness of Comic-Con -- the headache of getting down there, navigating crowds, running around to do a million different things. And then I end up at a party and watch astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson playing (and losing!) Jenga, while sampling various beers and wines, and I'm reminded that my Fear Of Missing Out will forever trump my dreams of a quiet weekend.

This was actually a pretty successful San Diego Comic-Con -- particularly because of my "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" panel (more on that in a separate post). I feel like I didn't overdo it, but did enjoy a bit more this year the parties I attended, the activations (particularly Purge City, as seen below), and covering some decent panels. Oh, and it didn't help that I lucked out with the hotel lotto this year and landed at the Marriott Marquis, right next to the convention center. That makes a huge difference.

Now, some sights from this year's SDCC:


Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston at the "Breaking Bad" reunion panel. Read more about it here.


Aaron Paul brought out his baby to kick off the "Breaking Bad" panel.


An army of male Marges.


To promote the new USA/Syfy series "The Purge," the networks created "Purge City" — a play on the Party City stores. In this case, you were given $25 in Purge Dollars to buy some supplies -- t-shirts, bumper stickers and other things. It was a well-done activation, featuring actors playing clerks asking, "How will you be spending your Purge Night?"


"Born to Purge"


Purge gear that sadly wasn't actually on sale.


Purge cake demonstration.


Purge City advertisement.


The cast of "Fear the Walking Dead."


View of the San Diego marina.


Thanos keeps guard at the Lego booth.


"Cord Cutters Only" at the Amazon Fire activation.


Creepy Marvin the Martian.


Love this cosplay: Grimace, Jollibee and Panda Express with Iron Man.



More Jenga. I think NDT pulled the piece that collapsed the structure because he was kinda done.


"The Good Place" clowns.

No comments: