Friday, May 15, 2020
Quarantine Cocktails: Smoky Old Fashioned Edition
To help promote the launch of its new TV adaptation of the Bong Joon Ho film "Snowpiercer," TNT held a "virtual premiere party" this week — and what's a premiere party without beverages? The network sent along a kit from Cocktail Courier, along with a recipe by Laila Grainawi (yes, "Grain" is actually in her name!):
2 oz. bourbon, 0.25 oz. simple syrup, 2 dashes of aromatic bitters, and a rinse of orange liqueur — topped off with a smoking rosemary sprig.
It's a easy, 3 minute prep. You need jigger, mixing beaker, bar spoon, julep strainer, double old fashioned glass, lighter. (You can improvise with most of these.)
1. Chill double old fashioned glass by placing in fridge/freezer or by filling with ice water and setting aside for 5 minutes.
2. Remove glass from fridge/freezer or if using ice water, empty the glass.
3. Pour one quarter-ounce of orange liqueur into the glass. Swirl around and discard.
4. Fill mixing beaker about two thirds full with fresh ice.
5. Measure and add bourbon, simple syrup and bitters to mixing beaker with ice and stir for about 30 seconds.
6. Strain contents of mixing beaker using a julep strainer into rinsed glass and top with fresh ice.
7. Use lighter to ignite one end of each rosemary spring, releasing the toasted aroma. Extinguish before placing in each cocktail.