instagram

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Johnny Grant's Final Interview



My friend and former colleague Denise Martin was especially shocked to hear that Johnny Grant passed away on Wednesday: She had just interviewed him on Tuesday night!

"I was talking to him, and he sounded fine," she tells me. "He was watching the New Hampshire primary results. I interrupted his New Hampshire viewing."

Denise is working on an Old Hollywood project for the Los Angeles Times Magazine, and was interviewing Grant about the old Mocambo nightclub.

"He was so cool and friendly," Denise says. "Told great stories. And the day after he dies! He sounded fine, too. All he did was take a minute in the middle to put in his hearing aid so he could hear me better."

Looks like Denise probably conducted the final interview with the Hollywood legend.

Meanwhile, what becomes of Grant's Roosevelt penthouse? And his honorary Hollywood mayor title? Is there an election? Can I throw my hat into the race?

No comments: