instagram

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

KOST Finds Its "Kelly Ripa of Morning Drive"



Remember earlier this year, when KOST put out a job listing to find Kim Amidon's replacement as Mark Wallengren's new morning drive co-host?

Wallengren's new co-host, Kristin Cruz, officially started Monday. "Mark Wallengren & Kristen Cruz in the Morning" pairs long-time local radio host Wallengren with Cruz, who spent time in San Diego working at KGTV and as host of the "Love Songs" show on Soft Rock 96.5 FM.

Have any of you tuned in? And tell me how well she fills the job notice:

On Air HOST, MORNING SHOW
KOST-FM

We're looking for the Kelly Ripa of morning drive to join longtime host Mark Wallengren! If you are opinionated, funny and witty, topical, can relate to women 25-54, be edgy but still talk in a family-friendly environment, and know the basics of radio, we want to hear from you! This is your chance to work with one of the most popular and legendary AC stations in the country. REQUIREMENTS: Formal training in radio broadcasting and min. 1 year on-air experience. Ability to operate on-air control board, CD player, and remote broadcast equipment. Knowledge of all FCC rules and regulations. HS diploma, AA or equivalent from 2-yr College or technical school preferred.

So whatever happened to Kim? Mark Wallengren actually commented on our 2007 post about Amidon's axing:
I've talked with Kim several times about putting another show together and she told me she doesn't want to work in radio again. I hope that's not true. She has said that she'll listen to any offers.

Anyone know about playing office politics? Well for a long time Kim has expressed on the air and in the halls that she wanted to do something else. I think maybe one too many times. I do know that the company had to make painful financial decisions that affected many here at our station both on and off the air. I guess, knowing Kim's feelings, they felt the time was right and opted not to renew her contract in 2008. She did receive severance pay that insures that she won't have to work for years if she chooses. Kim wants to become a writer. She has an agent and is pursuing that field.

I have told Kim that many people want to catch up with her. Her daughter Bevy is supposed to be putting up a Myspace.com page for her. When that happens I will post that address on my blog! If I can't convince Kim then I'm going to have to go out there and find that perfect partner again.

It was an amazing 22 years and I will always have wonderful memories of the people we've met and fantastic things we were able to do while on the air. It's always been such a blessing to work here and if at some point I am asked to leave I will be forever grateful for the time I was allowed be on the air and reach out to wonderful people like you.

As for Cruz, she'd actually been unofficially handling co-hosting duties since May, although had been on maternity leave more recently. This week's announcement makes the duo official.

No comments: