instagram

Friday, June 13, 2003

I Like Big Butts and I Cannot Lie!
I was just thinking how I hadn't busted out "Baby Got Back" at a karaoke joint in a while. The Sir Mix-A-Lot joint (yes, I just used the term "joint." You gonna sue me, Spike Lee?) has been my signature karaoke song for years. One night at the Brass Monkey about four years ago a group of older women were astounded that I knew all the words. Video screen? Bah. I could recite 'em all for you right now, along with plenty of other cheezy late 80s/early 90s poppy rap songs (like "Bust A Move," "The Humpty Dance," and of course, "U Can't Touch This.")

Apparently there's now an epidemic of goofy white boys rapping semi-old school in the world of karaoke. The L.A. Times chronicles the hip-hop karaoke night at Silver Lake's Upon Shop Records. Perhaps you'll see me there on the last Friday of the month.

Of course, true karaoke is to be had in Koreatown at one of the 24-hour joints. There's nothing like belting out songs with friends in your private karaoke room at 3 in the morning. (Of course, you can interpret whether that sounds like fun or your personal nightmare.) The best place remains the Rosen Music Studio (3488 W. 8th St.).

By the way, one of my prize possessions at the moment is M.C. Hammer's cell phone number. Don't even think of asking me for it.

No comments: