instagram

Wednesday, June 4, 2003

The sport of TV viewing was not lost on me last night as I found another reality show I can sink my teeth into.

The Contenders
American Juniors Fox, 8 pm - it's like American Idol but with younger (brattier) kids and their evil stage parents vying to be a part of a 5-member singing group.
I had to TiVO this for Mike, who was out carousing with friends last night, but left the TV on as I made dinner. I only saw glimpses of the show as I roasted some chicken and talked to the lovely Clarissa on the phone. The noise that was coming out of the TV was unbearable: highly emotional parents, attention loving kids, the usual (standard) bad performances, the seacrest hair...
America's Next Top Model UPN, 9 pm - a group of underweight and super tall women go through competitions such as applying make-up and how to wear a complicated designer top (comprised of strips of fabric) properly to win a modeling contract, be managed by a top agency and be featured on a fashion magazine.
I was switching between this show and Miss Universe but it was filled with all the makings of a good reality show: the cattiness; real world type situations as our heroines are sequestered in a, what else, penthouse; the gay make-up artist (love him!) etc. I think Tyra Banks, who seems nice, takes herself a little too seriously as she announced which uberwannabe model will be booted off.
Miss Universe NBC 9 pm - the mother of all beauty contests, maybe the original reality show that spans the globe as a beautiful representative from each country competes to win the title of Miss Universe, promoter of world peace.
Having been a 51-year tradition, this show can't really keep me fixated on the television anymore. The judges are comprised of a list of daytime soap stars, a couple of models, a fashion designer, blah, blah, blah. It was held in Panama so of course, Miss Panama was among the women who made it to the first cut and so did Miss USA (surprise, surprise). I stopped watching after the first cut was made.

The Winner
America's Next Top Model gets my vote. I'm in and so is our TiVO.

Now, go see Finding Nemo.

No comments: