instagram

Monday, July 28, 2003

The Mattress King
Turns out I was ahead of my time the other day, when I suggested that Sit n' Sleep president/pitchman Larry Miller run for governor (that "Sit n' Sleep will match any advertised price or your mattress is FREE" promise is more believable than anything coming out of Bob Simon's or Darrell Issa's mouths).

Little did I know that the Sunday L.A. Times would do a whole story on annoying local TV and radio pitchmen such as Larry and another fave, Cal Worthington.

Of course, the story also burst one bubble in the Sit n' Sleep radio ads: Larry's accountant Irwin, the one who screams at the boss, "You're killing me, Larry!" doesn't exist. He's the creation of ad exec Cary Sacks.

It's like first learning Santa isn't real. Or that the "Hey Vern" guy was just a character too. Listening to those ads will never be the same.

No comments: