instagram

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Rate-A-Restaurant, #21 in a series

Restaurant: Zeke's Smokehouse

Location: 2209 Honolulu Avenue, Montrose

Type of restaurant: BBQ Joint

They stipulated: That you order at the counter and the waiter will bring you the food. An aside, we had a big group and made a reservation in advance so we did get table service.

What we ordered: A bunch of my co-workers ordered the Carolina Pulled Pork sandwiches, and I split the Memphis Baby Back Ribs and the Kansas City Spare Ribs with another co-worker. We all shared the french fried Sweet Potatoes and the freshly made Kettle Chips.

High point: The homemade lemonade was tasty and my glass even had lemon seeds in it, it was so fresh. I had a taste of the Pulled Pork and it was succulent, tender and downright good; I liked the Kansas Ribs better than the Baby Backs, surprisingly enough. Make sure you try the mustard sauce. Montrose, once we found it, was a nice surprise: it had an old-town feel but seems to be thriving with a lot of cool new businesses opening up. I'm told that there was a really great toy store down the street from Zeke's.

Low point: Although the place has a lot of cool photos of anything BBQ related, the slaughter-house photos may make a sometime-vegetarian queasy. A little pricey than the normal place but I suspect they use the best stuff here.

Overall impression: The experience reminded me of eating at one of those great little cafes or restaurants in New York, like City Bakery – modern, casual and crowded serving great food.

Chance we will go back: I plan to take Mike and our meat-loving friends there.

No comments: