instagram

Monday, July 21, 2003

Summertime... and the Driving's Not So Easy
My commute doesn't involve the freeways, and thank God for that. There just isn't a good time to hit the freeway between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. There is no break-- rush hour continues all day long.

When my sister recently visited, I had to take the freeway during rush hour to get her to Marina del Rey-- and even though I know the traffic's infuriating, I had forgotten that it was this bad during rush hour. A victim of urban sprawl indeed.

At the same time, it just seemed worse than unsual. The Daily News confirms it: July and August are the cruelest traffic months. More people on vacation, taking half days or just altering their schedule means there are more people on the road-- 25 percent more, and then even more than that on the weekends.

January, by the way, is the calmest month.

No comments: