instagram

Thursday, February 5, 2004

Thank You, Janet

The broadcast media just won't let Nipplegate, Boobgate or whatever you wanna call it ("Strange-Solar-Like-Medallion-Pierced-Through-Janet-Jackson's-Nipple-Exposed-By-A-Scruffy-Justin-Timberlake-Gate") die... as witnessed by the sudden flurry of interview requests showing up on my desk.

As you regular readers know by now, I'm kind of a TV appearance whore. It's fun. My mom, dad and sisters get to see me on TV. I get to toy with my dream of one day being a TV host. (I know, dare to dream.)

So thanks to Ms. Jackson (whose chief crime that day, I believe, was dusting off the 15-year-old song "Rhythm Nation." I didn't care much for that song in 1989, and it still grates now), I've appeared twice on KABC in the past week (as Joe notes, I oughta ask for one of those "7" pins) and was interviewed this morning by...

OK, officially call me a sell-out. Maria did last night. Go ahead, say it. "Mike is a sellout."

... "On-Air With Ryan Seacrest."

What??!!?? Mike's unofficial nemesis? Hey, gimmie a break. They actually do more extensive entertainment pieces then some (ahem) real news organizations I know out there.

Anyway, my brush with Ryan (who I still haven't met; someone else did the interviewing) is moot anyway. The piece featuring me was bumped in today's show to make room for an on-air phone call from *Nsync crooner J.C. Chasez.

Chasez was dumped from the Pro Bowl halftime after the NFL apparently instituted a no-solo-singers-from-boy-bands rule post-Timberlake.

Meanwhile, the Nipplegate insanity doesn't stop: Laguna Beach High School officials canceled plans to allow MTV to film a reality show on campus. Parents were fine with it before Sunday -- but are now angry, Angry! at MTV.

UPDATE: Believe it or not, I'll be on KABC-ABC7 again this evening, on the 5:30 p.m. Eyewitness News telecast, chatting with Miriam Hernandez about the chilling effect of Nipplegate. Three appearances in a week -- two more, and I believe I get a free Doppler 7000.

No comments: