instagram

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

"I'm Gonna Be a Supermodel"


That's me with with "America's Next Top Model" winner Yoanna




Mike and Ms. Tyra


We almost didn't make it inside. There was a long line and we were inches away but the room was full. The fire marshalls were inside making sure things didn't get out of hand.

Eric Nicholson of Jane Magazine came out for a smoke and was immediately reprimanded by the bouncer mumbling something about the fire code. He went on smoking anyway and a bigger guy came by to stop him. "I'm on the show," he said (read: "I can do the f*@# I want"). Finally, someone came out to talk to him, and he was immediately ushered back in.

A half hour later, miraculously, we were in. Just in time for the parade of the model wannabes onstage. They aired the show at the party and I would say that 2/3 of the room was watching -- not bad for an industry event.

After the show, we mingled with Ms. Tyra and the models. They were all nice and gracious enough to have their pictures taken.

I was in awe of Tyra when Mike asked to have his picture taken with her. As soon as she said okay, swoosh! She tossed her hair and gave me that picture-perfect smile and posed for the camera. What a pro.

Camille, surprisingly, was the nicest. We locked eyes, then she smiled and came to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I asked if she's pursuing modelling and she said that there are some things on the table and she's keeping her options open.

Shanthrax was quietly watching the crowd with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend was taller than her (quite the opposite impression I got from his picture) and was cute.

I spied on April and Nigel talking for awhile then Nigel had his picture taken with a couple of women. After the picture, one of the women leaned over for a kiss and he indulged her. I was quite surprised by that sensual exchange, especially with his wife looking on. I think Nigel was taken aback as well.

Mercedes, Yoanna and April all took their moms to the party, which was really sweet. What's not sweet was that all the models had to bend their knees and crouch down to have their pictures taken with me. And yes, I was wearing heels.

No comments: