instagram

Wednesday, March 3, 2004

Shamrock My World




Driving by a McDonald's the other day -- I've avoided the place for years, other than a recent stop in the Philippines to order an ube sundae -- I noticed a sign out front heralding the return of the Shamrock Shake.

I flashed back to childhood. The Shamrock Shake was a once a year McDonald's treat, a minty respite from the tyranny of the fast food joint's usual vanilla, chocolate and strawberry shake choices. Even as a child, I would go out of my way for just about any ususual flavor of a usual treat (hence my obsession with the once-a-year holiday roll out of Mint M&Ms) -- so without fail, I'd suck down a few Shamrock Shakes every March.

But I haven't had a Shamrock Shake in probably 15 years. McDonald's discontinued the St. Patrick's Day promotion long ago, around the same time I discontinued my visits there. Obviously, my tastes have changed through the years. But I may have to return now.

The dilemma? Like a good Catholic boy, I've given up ice cream for Lent. (I know, pretty drastic. Especially considering we still have some Magnolia-brand ube ice cream in the freezer.)

Now, as far as I can tell, technically, McDonald's shakes are not made from ice cream (In-N-Out's shakes, on the other hand, are). Have I found a loop hole? What's the consensus out there? As you know, by the time Lent's over, the Shamrock Shake and St. Patrick's Day will be long gone. Damn you, McDonald's!

No comments: