instagram

Saturday, April 9, 2005

"Lost" Spoiler


It's dangerous work we do at Variety, covering the entertainment biz.

As a fan of ABC's "Lost," I was looking forward to last Wednesday's episode. The hype had been building all week: A major character was about to die. Who would it be? The obvious choice was Boone, the character played by Iam Somerhalder.

Boone had sustained major injuries in the previous episode, after he climbed into an abandoned small plane that he and the mysterious Locke had found. The plane proceded to fall off a cliff.

But in a show that relishes twists, Boone's death was too obvious. So I still didn't know what to expect Wednesday afternoon, when a publicist called.

"I've got a story for you -- now that his character dies in tonight's 'Lost,' Ian Somerhalder has signed a deal with ABC and Touchstone."

I was dumbstruck. The publicist just matter-of-factly ruined that night's episode for me!

"Why did you just do that?" I admonished.

But yes, I have a job to do, even if it means not always getting to be just a TV fan. So I wrote the story. And in the process ruined the surprise for a few more folks in the office.

No comments: