instagram

Thursday, July 7, 2005

New York, London... What About Los Angeles?

It's something we thought a lot about in the days and weeks after 9/11: Would Los Angeles be hit? And how?

Today's London terrorist attacks is as good a reason as any to once again ask the tough questions. Are we prepared? Given that Los Angeles is home to Hollywood, are terrorists gunning to silence the chief exporter of U.S. images overseas?

Mack Reed at LAVoice ponders ways they might go after Los Angeles:

L.A. has always been a target, as far back as the foiled 2000 LAX bomb attempt and probably earlier. If we haven't been hit yet, it's probably only due to a mix of police deterrence and dumb luck...

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much, but I keep picturing the attacks, and wondering how it would all unfold: A dirty bomb in Pershing Square station. A bucketful of plutonium pellets in the California Aqueduct somewhere up the 5. A truck loaded with C4 at the 405/101 junction. A nerve gas cannister at the Chinese.


Yikes. I'm going back to bed. My fear of what might happen to the city is why, honestly, I haven't been screening "24" in recent seasons -- L.A. is always under threat of some major attack in the show, and I just can't bring myself to watching it.

No comments: