instagram

Wednesday, November 2, 2005

Psst, 411: Valley Seccession Didn't Pass



I was racing Tuesday night to a KCSN staff meeting deep in the Valley, at Steve's Low-Carb Cafe, when I realized I better phone the station manager to let him know I was running late.

One problem: I didn't have the Steve's phone number. So I pulled out my T-Mobile Blackberry and dialed 411.

411 lady: City, state and listing please.
Me: Los Angeles, California, for "Steve's Low-Carb Cafe."
A few seconds later:
411 lady: I'm sorry sir, I only have a listing for a Steve's in Gardena. Is that what you want?
Me: No, I think it's on Chatsworth Blvd. Can you check again?
411 lady: Sorry, sir, no listing.
Me: Did you check the 818?
411 lady: Well, that's not Los Angeles. 310 is Los Angeles.
Me: Actually, most of the 818 is in L.A.
411 lady: No, it's not. We have it listed as the San Fernando Valley... Here it is. It's in Granada Hills. Here's your number.

To add insult to injury, she let me know "It's in Granada Hills," in that "See moron, it's not in Los Angeles!" tone of voice. But I didn't have time to argue, Granada Hills is part of Los Angeles! Plus, let's face it, I'm sure a good chunk of people who live in spots like Granada Hills, Northridge and Chatsworth don't realize they're actually a part of L.A. Even when they're voting for L.A. mayor.

But that's a side note. I love the irony here -- she's giving me a hard time about asking for a listing that wasn't really in how they define Los Angeles over there... yet the first number she offered me was in Gardena!

No comments: