instagram

Monday, March 27, 2006

Rate-A-Restaurant, #93 in a series



Restaurant: Breadbar

Location: 8718 W. 3rd St. (at Robertson)

Type of restaurant: Bakery/lunch

We stipulated: Tired of the same-old, same-old Miracle Mile offerings (Baja Fresh, Koo Koo Roo, Johnie's, O to Go, Black Dog Cafe and Ralphs -- rinse and repeat), my colleagues and I were looking for something different. Joe suggested Breadbar. I've been curious to try the carbtastic joint -- so we grabbed Denise and headed to 3rd.

They stipulated: Much like M Cafe de Chaya, you order at the counter and then try to grab a seat -- most of the tables are communal as well. Once you're seated, though, there is some table service. We were lucky and grabbed seats rather quickly.

What we ordered: I ordered the Ahi Tuna sandwich (which is my standard-- yes, I'm very predictable). Again, just when I was ready to crown M Cafe de Chaya's Ahi Tuna burger the best in the land, Breadbar has emerged with a solid contender. The bread is obviously delicious, and the tuna fresh. I'd have it again in a heartbeat. I can't remember what Joe and Denise got; hopefully they'll add to the comments below.

High point: The bread basket was complimentary, a nice touch. And getting a table so quickly felt like victory, given how packed the place was.

Low point: It took a while to get the check.

Overall impression:French baker Eric Kayser is managing to turn carbfraid Angelenos into converts. The bread is top notch, as expected -- particularly the cheese bread and the hazelnut bread, which I brought home to Maria (we both quickly devoured it).

Chance we will go back: Absolutely -- may be a great place to take out-of-towners; plus I need to bring Maria here. And I'm sure Joe, Denise and I will make another Variety outing there.

(Check out Rate-A-Restaurant for a full roster of our restaurant reviews.)

No comments: