instagram

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Say Hello to My Little Friend



Our friend Jeff has been trying to get me and another friend, Tony, to sit down and watch the classic Pacino flick "Scarface" for years. Last week AFI was screening it as part of its AFI Arclight Series, so we took the opportunity to check it out on the big screen.

And trust me, you haven't seen "Scarface" until you see the infamous chainsaw scene, or the climactic shootout, on a huge projector. The movie lived up to what I imagined it to be: Loud, violent, over-the-top and fascinating. And now that I've seen it, I finally can claim some hip-hop cred as well.

By the way, the early refugee camp scenes were filmed right underneath the 110/10 interchange near downtown.

The AFI series is a great way to catch old films you've probably never actually seen in a theater. Next up: "Network" on March 15, and "Some Like it Hot" on March 22. AFI is also holding its Fifth Annual Music Documentary screening series, on Wednesdays at the Arclight from April 5 to May 11. Docs include ones on the Pixies, George Michael, the Police and others.

No comments: