instagram

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Pasadena's Pretend Pop Art



I'm sure you've seen the above display in Old Town Pasadena (in the Alley next to Crate & Barrel, where the Laemmle Theatres and Il Fornaio are located). Cones set off a construction site, where the ground has been dug up, some pipes are being worked on and several plastic workers stand in hard hats, repairing the whole fake mess.

The first time I saw this display, several years ago, I thought some work was really being done to the pipes -- and that the fiberglass/plastic/whatever workers were just a hip/cool/Pasadena way of signaling caution -- men and women at work.

The next time I saw it, and nothing had changed, I finally got it: This is meant to be this way. I'm sorry, I don't get it. The cones, the chains, the dug-up ground and exposed pipe: It still looks like messy, unfinished construction. But hey, I could be wrong. Please, if anyone can justify this installation, have at it in the comments.

No comments: