instagram

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

A Ho-Hum Primary Election

Did you vote? No? I can't blame you.

Well, I can, since you're a part of the problem. Sorry. But I understand why you didn't -- this has been the most lackluster primary campaign I've ever seen. The candidates aren't that inspiring, and even the propositions on the ballot aren't stirring voters up.

In the case of Phil Angelides and Steve Westly, even the mud-slinging at the close of the race couldn't make up for the fact that both are rather ho-hum candidates. I'm still stunned that this was the best the Democrats could come up with to do battle with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the fall.

Last year, Schwarzenegger looked completely vulnerable. Now, it looks like he's going to easily slide into re-election. Neither Angelides nor Westly have the chops to beat the Governator, who's been doing such a good job rehabbing his image (by, let's face it, being under the radar in recent months) that even I don't harbor the disgust I once did for the actor.

Don't get me wrong -- there's no chance in hell I'll be voting to re-elect Schwarzenegger. But if a guy like me, who so rabidly opposes Schwarzenegger, is feeling a little less opposed to the guy, then I imagine the majority of voters who have no opinion either way will once again be swayed by his celebrity.

Back to primary day blues. Here in California's District 43 (which includes Glendale, Burbank, North Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Griffith Park, Toluca Lake, Atwater Village and Valley Glen) the mud has also been flying, as Burbank Board of Education member Paul Krekorian and Glendale City Councilman Frank Quintero. Again, the flyers, the phone calls... by the end of the race, I'm not exactly a fan of either.

But I voted today. And while I won't tell you who I ultimately picked, I'll tell you: It wasn't easy. (Well, except for attorney general. That was easy. Given all the shady stuff we've found out about Rocky Delgadillo, I had no problem inking a hole for Jerry Brown.)

Today's vote is so tight that even Blogger Baby wasn't interested in making a pick. I put the choices for Dem gubernatoral candidate out:



And as you can see, he wasn't interested in either:

No comments: