instagram

Monday, September 18, 2006

So I Take It He's Not a Fan



One of the joys for journalists opening their mail is the ocassional crazy letter from some one who's either (a) a certifiable nutjob or (b) really angry, for no justifable reason. Old pal Mayrav, now busy blogging it up at Fishbowl L.A., recently scored a letter from someone who appears to harbor both traits.

What spurred the guy to write was Mayrav's recent Orange County register column focusing on the death of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin. While tragic, Mayrav noted that at least he went out in a cool way -- and that her last moments in this mortal coil won't be nearly as dramatic:

I don't have a cool way that I want to die. There's nothing I could be doing that – should I give up the ghost halfway through – would make my friends say, "Well, at least she died doing what she loved."

I don't do anything that I love, dangerous or otherwise. It's dismal. I'm sure I'm not alone in living a passionless life devoid of crocodiles and life-threatening humanitarian work. And I'm perfectly content to waste the days allotted me contributing absolutely nothing to this world; I'm American. But I'd really like my death to be more spectacular than all that.


That elicited this response from a reader:

I think it is great that you can admit you have a passionless and sad existence. Equally impressive is that you go on record as being content to waste your allotted days contributing absolutely nothing to the world. Just don't do it the name of being American. Do it in the name of being the sad and pathetic person that you are (you know, personal responsibility). Please emigrate to another country as soon as possible, America doesn't need people like you here; sad and pathetic with nothing to contribute.

Sincerely,
Dwight Gergens

As far as I know, Mayrav's staying put.

No comments: