instagram

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Andy Richter Controls the Los Angeles Universe



Andy Richter easily wins the prize for the celeb most readily spotted in regular places around the city.

Most recently, my colleague Kathy wound up standing in front of the "Andy Barker, P.I." star at Philippe's. She writes:

"He was very nice. I asked him what that secret way you're supposed to order is... before I realized who he was. He didn't know either. Isn't there some special thing you're supposed to ask for when you order?


Last year, Maria saw Andy Richter eating alone at Cassell's Hamburgers on 6th in Koreatown, scarfing down a burger.

I've also seen Andy and his family at LAX, waiting for baggage. Another time, I was driving down Highland Ave. -- and hell, there was Andy climbing into his car!

Then there's this tale, from Mark Evanier (link via blogging.la):

So about forty minutes ago, I'm in my friendly neighborhood CVS Pharmacy and a lady shopper comes up to me. She says her "favorite actor in the whole world" is over in the next aisle...and I guess she's so excited about it that she has to tell someone. So she tells me and naturally, I ask, "And who might that be?"

She says, "John Candy," and my immediate thought is just what yours would be in this situation: "I don't think so." As I'm thinking that, she's telling me how much she loved him in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Let's leave aside the question of how someone could be your "favorite actor in the whole world" and yet you're unaware they died thirteen years ago...

Just then, she points to a gap in the aisles and says, "There he is," and I can see the person she thinks is John Candy. There, wearing a green t-shirt and shorts, is Andy Richter. "Do you think it would be okay if I went up to him and asked for an autograph?" she asks me.

I think to myself, "Hmm...I wonder if Andy Richter would enjoy being mistaken for John Candy. He might get a great anecdote out of it, one he could tell on his next talk show appearance. Or he might just feel insulted...I don't know." I decide to save the lady the embarrassment and I break it to her, as kindly as I can, that John Candy passed away some time ago.

There you have it. Andy Richter, at Philippe's, Cassell's, LAX, on Highland, and at CVS. Stars... they're just like us!

No comments: