instagram

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Candorville" Returns to the L.A. Times



Two months after its comics shakeup, the Los Angeles Times has restored another strip: "Candorville is back.

"Candorville" replaces "The Flying McCoys," which my cubicle neighbor and Dodger Thoughts maestro Jon Weisman notes, "I have to say, made no impression on me."

I was surprised back when the paper first dropped "Candorville" -- read my interview with creator Darrin Bell here. The strip was smart, clever and at times quite poignant -- and one of the few (if any) multiethnic comic strips in the paper. Good to see it back.

Darrin writes on his blog that he nearly choked on a chip while eating at a restaurant when he found out the news (by checking his Blackberry):

Someone else at the Times told me a couple weeks ago that the response from readers had been tremendous. Hundreds - maybe billions (but probably closer to hundreds) - of readers wrote in, called, and voiced their opinion about the cancelation. I'm sure that made all the difference. "Thank you" isn't enough, but then I know it wasn't for me. People didn't want Darrin Bell back, they wanted to continue to hear a young, dissenting voice in their newspaper - something Candorville provides with annoying regularity.

Score one for patriotic dissent, zero for the corporate media's dastardly plan to silence alternative viewpoints. Well, I guess that would be score 289,975 for the corporate media, and one for patriotic dissent, but you get my meaning.

No comments: