instagram

Thursday, January 17, 2008

An Introduction to Red Mango


(Flickr pic by Bertakamous.)


As you know by now, Red Mango bills itself as the originator of the current natural/tart frozen yogurt craze, as it opened in Korea first, and inspired Pinkberry here in the U.S.


(Flickr pic by getofab.)

The Miracle Mile location recently opened, so I took a short walk from the office yesterday to finally give it a try. Red Mango touts the fact that unlike its competitors (ahemPINKBERRYahem) it uses real, live yogurt cultures.

I ordered a small (more than enough) for $2.50, plus a granola topping for $1 more (the pricing is similar to Pinkberry). The yogurt is indeed nice, although admittedly the granola added some sweetness. To be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between this and Pinkberry; I do have to say that the Miracle Mile Red Mango is generous with its portion; unlike most Pinkberrys, which usually have nothing but air in the middle of its swirl.

Also, I tried a sample of the green tea flavor. Very strong flavoring; not for people who are on the fence about green tea. I liked it.

Will I go back? At 90 calories for a small serving, Red Mango does indeed fit my diet... on the flip side, at $2.50 (or $3.50 with a topping) per serving, it doesn't fit my budget. So the answer is yes... but not frequently.

No comments: