instagram

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Tortured Mind of Jon Arbuckle



I recently stumbled across the website Garfield Minus Garfield, and I think it's my new fave. I chuckle every time. Maybe it's because, as a kid, I loved the strip.

But when I got older, I lost my appreciation. It just wasn't funny. Whereas I was able to appreciate Peanuts on a whole different level as I aged, the older me realized that there was nothing all that complicated about Garfield: It was indeed just a comic about a cat that hates Mondays.

Enter "Garfield Minus Garfield." Strip Garfield from the strip, and it suddenly becomes something very different -- and dare I say it, interesting. The site describes its purpose:
Who would have guessed that when you remove Garfield from the Garfield comic strips, the result is an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolor disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life? Friends, meet Jon Arbuckle. Let’s laugh and learn with him on a journey deep into the tortured mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against lonliness in a quiet American suburb.

Brilliant. A few more selections:





No comments: